Friday 11 September 2009

Director Hari's interview



- A shooting spot still




~ What is that title - Singam (Lion)?

A lion does not fear anyone; the character that the hero plays in this film is also of the same type. This is a 100% action film and hence such a majestic title.


~ Does Singam have any meaning in particular?

In a police uniform (Indian), you can see the emblem of a lion. In that only three lions will be visible to us and the fourth one cannot be seen by us. How will it be if that lion (4th) comes out royally? That is what I’ve said in the film.


~ Is this film also a village based story?

All my films are village based. This is what people like and encourage in my films. This is also of the same type.

~ Then, is this film also like Vel?

In Vel , Suriya would have acted as person liked by one and all . In this he will be acting as a person who is courageous.


~ What is Anushka’s role in the movie?

Anushka’s role in the movie will be shown differently, I cannot speak about it now.


~ How is Anushka’s acting?

After Singam, Anushka will go to a higher level. I am satisfied with her performance. Tamil cinema has got another good and talented heroine.

~ Are you going out of the country for song sequences?

In most of my films, song sequences are shot here, but for this movie we have planned to go and shoot in foreign locations. The locations are yet to be decided

~ Is there any sentiment in you for Karaikudi?

Nothing like that. Many movies have been shot here before. Vel was initially shot at Dindugal and then it was shot in many villages before we concluded it in Tirunelveli . We have planned to shoot this movie in locations like Kutrallam, Karaikudi, Tuticorin and in some parts of Kerala.


~ Have you got plans of making a big budget movie?

Till date, I have directed 9 films. Singam is my 10th film . When I was a assistant director, I had dreamt of making films in a particular way – I’ve done it that way now. I am an admirer of such big movies but I have my own style of making movies and I will stick to it.



While we were speaking to Hari, a shot had been completed and a lot of fans had come to the spot to witness the shoot , Suriya spent sometime with them and he enjoyed it. A lot of school kids also came across – Suriya at that time said – all of you study well, it would be a nice sight. Please do not spend much time here in this hot climate, please go home, and watch the film once it comes out - he said gently. The fans were delighted and then left the spot. We then caught up with Suriya who was getting ready for his next shot.

~ What is this new get-up?

I am a police officer in this movie, A police officer will have a unique moustache and hence this get-up. The shooting has been going on only for some days now; it has come up well so far said Suriya.

Singam also features Prakashraj, Vivek , Manorama , Nassar , Radharavi , Manobala .



Courtesy: Dinamalar Cine Team ( This is a translated version )

No comments: